General Liability Insurance for Surfing
- High-limits from $1M to $6M
- Affordable rates
- Non-Owned and Hired Auto Liability
- Sex Abuse/Molestation
Accident Insurance for Surfing
- Reimburse medical bills
- Limits up to $100k
- Deductible options
- What is surfing?
- What are the health benefits of surfing?
- Is surfing a high-risk sport?
- Surfing risk management tactics
- Is surfing insurance beneficial?
- What does surfing insurance cover?
- Get surfing insurance that fits your needs!
Surfing is an individual water sport in which the surfer stands on a specially designed board and rides a breaking wave. The goal of surfing is to ride and progress on the unbroken part of the wave. Surfers can surf on any waterway that has large enough water breaks that provide enough force for the surfer to glide across the surface of the water. However, most of the time, surfers catch waves on the ocean, even after a natural disaster that causes bigger waves, and large rivers.
Surfing is not as easy as some surfers make it look. It is a physically demanding sport that requires endurance, strength, and stability. To stay balanced to ride the wave, the surfer has to engage the majority of muscles in their body. As a result, surfing provides its participants with fantastic health benefits.
A recent study by Cal State has provided research on the health benefits of surfing. The following are some health benefits that surfers can expect to experience:
- Heart Health Improvement: Surfing involves intensive cardiovascular exercise. The vigorous paddling and standing on the board are the fundamental movements in surfing that help build heart strength. Surfers’ cardio endurance will increase after regularly participating in surfing.
- Total Body Strength: Surfers gain significant strength in their shoulders, back, legs, and core from paddling against the waves and engaging muscles to keep balanced and ride the wave.
- Mental Clarity: The study found that surfing helps clear the mind and improve mental wellbeing. Surfers experience these cognitive improvements because the sport requires complete focus and concentration.
While surfing produces several health benefits, there are still risks involved in the sport as it has many elements that you can’t control or predict. The nature of the sport consists of the surfer gliding on the wave’s surface at a very high speed. The leading causes of injury in surfing are accidents with the surfer’s board, coming into contact with another surfers board, or drowning. Surfers are also susceptible to wiping out and striking the water, which commonly results in injuries. Surfing is also physically tolling on the body, so muscle strains and other risks of injuries could happen without taking precautions.
The following are common injuries that surfers experience:
- Lacerations (cuts and scrapes)
- Fractures and Dislocations
- Ear Infections
Surfing schools, tournaments, and clubs should have certain risk management practices in effect that help keep the surfers safe. Help manage predictable and controllable risks by teaching surfers techniques to identify dangers before jumping into the water.
The following are some practices that your organization can apply to your risk mitigation strategy:
- New Surfer Training Regime: Instructors should adequately train novice surfers in surfing procedures before going out on the water to ride a wave. Knowing the basic movements and techniques of surfing will help eliminate a personal accident that comes from inexperience. Of course, a lot of learning how to surf is trial and error once out on the water. However, ensuring that they know the proper ways to ride the wave, stand up, and balance could help eliminate risks.
- Clear Instructions: All surfers should have clear instructions and practice surfing techniques that will help keep them safe. Coaches should provide instructions on equipment use, board handling, and how to have a safe “wipeout.” Instructors or coaches should check all equipment for quality measures before the surfers go out on the water.
- Swimming Confidence: As surfing is a water sport, all surfers must be confident in their swimming capabilities. As a procedure, implement swimming tests to confirm the surfers swimming abilities.
- Waivers: It is good to have the surfers on a team, club, or tournament sign a waiver. Having them go over a waiver will give them the necessary information to know the risks and responsibilities. In addition, it could help reduce your organization’s liabilities.
Surfing organizations can implement various preventative procedures to lessen the risks of surfing. However, the nature of the sport causes it to be still hazardous. Putting in preventative procedures does not eliminate all risks. Therefore, there are still chances of lawsuits from surfing incidents. However, obtaining General Liability and Accident insurance policies can be very beneficial for teams, tournaments, and clubs as it could help provide financial coverage when accidents happen.
Sadler Sports Insurance offers customizable Surfing Insurance policies that can match your needs so you can experience worry-free coverage. Putting a comprehensive insurance plan in place that is geared to support protecting your surfing team, club, or tournament will help play an integral part in your risk management strategy.
Lawsuits could get very expensive and detrimental to your business if you do not have the proper insurance coverage. A general liability policy will provide protection against the financial obligations that could fall onto your organization and its workers at the time of an accident. These financial obligations could include settlement costs, adverse jury verdicts, and attorney’s fees.
If you are a surfing coach or organizer of a team, camp, or tournament, you should take the proper precautions to mitigate risks. It is time to consider adding insurance to your risk management strategy. Sadler Insurance offers customizable Surfing Insurance Policies with general liability and accident insurance options. Adding a comprehensive insurance policy will portray your organization with a high level of professionalism. In addition, it could assist in protecting your business from financial loss.
Sadler Insurance has been insuring sports organizations like yours since 1946. We offer top-quality service at highly competitive rates. You can get the peace of mind you deserve with our insurance policies. So take the first step in reducing your liabilities and submit a quote today.