Thousands suffer in pursuit of fitness
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the following injury statistics occurred in 2009:
- 1500 emergency room visits resulting from equipment related
mishaps in gyms
- 50,000 emergency room visits from home exercise equipment incidents including treadmill falls, exercise ball falls, elastic stretch band hits to face, and dropping free weights on feet.
- Treadmills are the number one cause of equipment related injuries with 575 occurrences of falling off and tripping
- Weight machines and free weights caused 224 injuries.
- Common gym equipment related injuries include broken ankles,fractured arms, fractured legs, and fingertip amputations.
Fitness instructors cite the following reason for gym/exercise related injuries:
- Inattention due to Ipods, cell phones, and reading
- Using equipment for the first time without proper instruction
- Working out too hard, too soon after a period of inactivity.