Thousands suffer in pursuit of fitness
Fitness Instructor Insurance and Health Club Insurance is in high demand due to frequent gym injuries.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the following injury statistics occurred in 2009:
- 1500 emergency room visits resulting from equipment related
mishaps in gyms
- 50,000 emergency room visits from home exercise equipment incidents including treadmill falls, exercise ball falls, elastic stretch band hits to face, and dropping free weights on feet.
- Treadmills are the number one cause of equipment related injuries with 575 occurrences of falling off and tripping
- Weight machines and free weights caused 224 injuries.
- Common gym equipment related injuries include broken ankles,fractured arms, fractured legs, and fingertip amputations.
Fitness instructors cite the following reason for gym/exercise related injuries:
- Inattention due to Ipods, cell phones, and reading
- Using equipment for the first time without proper instruction
- Working out too hard, too soon after a period of inactivity.