Freak accident highlights need for Accident and General Liability Insurance
An accident can happen anywhere at any time. Recently, 11-year-old Lauren Cecil of North Carolina was electrocuted when an electric surge from a downed power line passed through the pool in which she and two teammates were practicing.
The swim club president witnessed the wire fall and land in a parking lot. When she heard a “popping” noise and saw a puff of smoke, she sent lifeguards to stand guard around the pool and encourage swimmers to exit. While Cecil’s teammates were able to safely jump out of the pool, she attempted to leave using a ladder. Unfortunately, the metal ladder served as a conductor that sent a shock through her body.
Lifeguards were unable to retrieve her from the pool immediately because the water continued to transmit electric shocks. They eventually used a body board and kickboard to remove Cecil from the pool and begin CPR. Their attempts to resuscitate her were unsuccessful and she was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.
In the insurance industry, we are in the business of expecting the unexpected. Crazy things happen every day. Tragedies such as the one that befell Lauren Cecil are not unheard of, so it is important to protect your swim club or fitness facility in the event of an accident. General Liability and Accident insurance are the best forms of protection for ensuring that your organization and its administrators, staff, and participants do not suffer a serious financial loss as the result of unforeseen circumstances.